NYC Marathon Training: Week 2
Week two of training was a bit slower for me. Wacky schedule and achy hip flexor meant I spent more time resting than cross-training. Probably not ideal, but that’s how the week played out.
Monday: Rest day.
Tuesday: Repeats. Confirmed early morning interval sessions don’t work well for me. Muscles don’t have enough time to warm up. Will look to move these workouts later in the day. Was not able to meet pace this session. Bit frustrating, but it’s early in training yet. Also, 100 V-crunches for core.
- Total = 4.97 mi – 41:32 – 8:21 min/mi avg pace
- Plan = 4 x 800m @ 6:48 min/mi
- Actual repeats = (1) 7:05; (2) 7:05; (3) 7:06; (4) 7:16
Wednesday: Rest day. Did some stretching.
Thursday: Tempo. Enjoyed this run. Comfortably met pace despite heat/humidity. Cut cool-down short by nearly a mile due to terrible incoming storm. Like running in the rain; in lightning, not so much.
- Total = 6.11 mi – 51:27 – 8:27 min/mi avg pace
- Plan = 5mi @ 8:23 min/mi
- Actual splits = (1) 8:26; (2) 8:20; (3) 8:19; (4) 8:19; (5) 8:08
Friday: Rest day.
Saturday: Long Run. Fifteen mile run at marathon pace + 45 seconds. Contended with achy right hip flexor, which loosened up after stretching. Felt stronger toward end of run than beginning.
- Total = 15.01 mi – 2:14.20 – 8:57 min/mi avg pace
- Plan = 15 mi @ 9:08 min/mi
- Actual = 15.01 mi @ 8:57
Sunday: Cross-training. Spin class – 45 minutes.
Total weekly mileage: 26.09 miles
See all weekly training recaps here.