NYC Marathon Training: Week 3
Week three was the highest total mileage I’ve run in nearly 12-13 weeks. Body’s worked through some kinks, but overall legs are holding up. First time trying an advanced marathon plan, which means long runs are hitting major mileage early on.
Monday: Reverse ladder intervals. Moved this session up a day. Incorporated workout while assisting with Joel’s Chi Running session. Intervals were punctuated with form reviews and some hill work. Actually welcomed the variation. Tough session; though pacing was all over the place.
- Total = 5.5 mi – 42:57 – 7:48 min/mi avg pace
- Plan = 1200m @ 6:56 min/mi; 1000m @ 6:52; 800m @ 6:48; 600m @ 6:45; 400m @ 6:38; (200m RI)
- Actual repeats = (1) 1200m @ 6:45; (2) 1000m @ 7:05; (3) 800m @ 7:01; (4) 600m @ 6:26; (5) 400m @ 6:42
Tuesday: Rest day.
Wednesday: Cross-train. Nike Training Club “Butt Buster.” (Go ahead and laugh – I know, I know…). Four-minute plank. Thirty minutes of stretching – especially piriformis and hip flexor.
Thursday: Tempo. Humid, sweaty evening run. Slow start due to knotty and achy legs. Wasn’t certain I’d be able to continue, but stretching helped. Met plan pace.
- Total = 7.01 mi – 58:05 – 8:20 min/mi avg pace
- Plan = 5 mi @ 8:05 min/mi
- Actual splits = (1) 8:08; (2) 7:56; (3) 7:58; (4) 8:03; (5) 7:52
Friday: Rest day. Stretching and epsom salt soak for legs.
Saturday: Long Run. Maintained good pace, though need to pace slower for these summer long runs. Nearly 87 degrees and humid. Ran Summer Streets, plus two bridges, which was a lot of fun. Public water fountains above 51st Street on Park would help. Was late refueling, which I believe caused me to overheat toward end of run. Break in shade, cold Gatorade helped. Finished 17 miles.
- Total = 17.01 mi – 2:27.33 – 8:42 min/mi avg pace
- Plan = 17 mi @ 9:08 min/mi
- Actual = 17.01 mi @ 8:42
Sunday: Cross-training. Spin class – 45 minutes.
Total weekly mileage: 29.52 miles
See all weekly training recaps here.